Friday , August 19 2022
Home / NEWS / Mityana police officers killed following false complaint

Mityana police officers killed following false complaint

Issa Kizito (blue t-shirt) is said to have reported a false complaint that led to the death of two police officers. URN photo

Kampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | The General Court Martial in Kampala has heard that the two police officers who were killed in Mityana district last year, were tricked into pursuing suspected robbers on the basis of a false complaint.

19 suspects, believed to be members of the Uganda National Coalition, a little known rebel outfit, are jointly charged with four counts of murder, aggravated robbery and treachery following the death of police officers Alfred Okecho and Moses Kigongo, who were attached to Busunju police station in Mityana district. The attackers also went away with their guns and 30 rounds of ammunition.

The same group is accused of killing Special Police Constable Francis Ddimba and Corporal Francis Nsubuga, who were both attached to Nakasozi police post in Kiboga district during the same month. Three state witnesses who appeared before the General Court Martial yesterday afternoon told the court that Issa Kizito, one of the suspects lodged a false complaint that he had been robbed of 500,000 Shillings which was part of the capital that he uses in his tomato business.

State witness Brian Ochieng said that at the time of lodging the complainant, who is aged between 17 and 20 years, appeared disturbed with dirt all over his body, indicating that he had encountered a genuine scuffle involving robbers. At the counter, Kizito identified himself as Sulaiman Kanakulya, a resident who needed police help to chase a robber who had stolen his money and locked himself in a nearby school.

He reportedly pleaded that they escort him to the school to hunt for the robbers. But moments later, police officers from the same station established that their colleagues, who travelled to pursue the matter had been killed and were lying in a pool of blood. The alleged complainant was pursued and arrested but changed his name from Kanakulya to Kizito during the identification parade.

However, defense lawyers led by Major Silas Kamanda Mutungi asked the witnesses how they came to know that the said complainant was part of the attack. The witnesses said that the suspect was communicating with other people about the means of transport they were using and that his act of attempting to escape arrest, raised suspicion against him.

Apart from Kizito, who is also known as Commander Muto, the other accused persons were identified as Stuart Lugendo, Savio Paul alias Kuffa-Teeka, Julius Mulinda alias Julio, Muhammad Nyanzi Makumbi alias Engineer, Godfrey Agodri alias Walker Ramathan and Paul Iyamuremye. The others are Alex Bogere, Bob Robert Ssenyonga, John Masembe alias Nasifu, Faizo Miti, Hakim Ssenyonjo, Sylvester Matovu, Derick Kawuma, Tonny Ssekayombya, Sam Sengonzi Lwanga, Tonny Sseguya, Robert Wamala, Joram Gamwosi and Arthur Ndawula.

The case will return to court on April 19, 2022, for further hearing.

*****

URN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *