Luuka, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | A retail shop operator in Bumaana trading center, Bukanga sub county, Luuka district was on Monday morning electrocuted while illegally connecting power to his shop.
The lifeless body of 27-year-old James Mawani has already been taken to Kiyunga health center IV mortuary awaiting postmortem.
Steven Isabirye, the area LC 1 chairperson who also owns a grocery shop within the same location, says that they had a blast near the electric pole, only to notice Mawani lying on the ground.
“He had climbed the pole without prior knowledge of the existence of any active electric current, since we have been experiencing a power blackout for close to three weeks now,” Isabirye says. “However, while he was still on the pole, we noticed that power was back and we heard a big blast, only to see Mawani lying helpless on the ground as he bled profusely.”
George Kagweri, the Bukanga LC III chairperson says that most residents within his sub county are relying on illegal power connections and they always connect naked wires to heavy electric current copper wires, which exposes them to electricity circuits.
Kagweri adds that responsible agencies should liaise with police personnel to sensitize the public and conduct a coordinated crackdown on illegal power connections, which if not contained will increase the number of fatal accidents resulting from exposure to naked electric wires.
Busoga North’s regional police spokesperson Michael Kasadha has warned members of the public against involving themselves in illicit power connections, adding that inquiries into the death of Mawani are underway.