Kampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | The High Court Criminal Division has ordered for two separate trials in the Kenneth Akena murder case.
Justice Steven Mubiru of the High Court Criminal Division issued the order on Wednesday after one of the suspects Joseph Kanyamunyu did not appear in court due to illness.
Earlier on, the lawyers of the accused Evans Ochieng, MacDosman Kabega and Caleb Alaka had asked Justice Mubiru to adjourn the case until Joseph recovers.
Justice Mubiru rejected the request saying that the trial had delayed to start and that court is also not sure when he will recover.
The judge said the two suspects Matthew Kanyamunyu and his girlfriend, Cynthia Munwangari, will be tried together while Joseph will be tried separately when he recovers.
Prosecution alleges that the accused persons on November 12th, 2016, along Kampala Jinja highway near Malik car bond, shot dead child activist Kenneth Akena.
Joseph Kanyamunyu was also charged with being an accessory to the murder of Akena when he removed a pistol from Mathew Kanyamunyu’s vehicle number UAW 548 M, which was used to shoot Akena.
The late Akena died at Norvik hospital where the accused persons had taken him for medical attention after shooting him for reportedly knocking their vehicle.
The trial hit a snag last year after prosecution told court that they hadn’t shared the evidence they intend to use with the defense team as previously directed by court.