Kampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | Cabinet has directed the Ministry of Finance to release 32.75 billion shillings to facilitate the relocation of 6,300 people at high risk of landslides in Bududa to Bulambuli district.
At least 43 people were last week killed and over 800 displaced when mudslides swept Bukalasi, Buwali, Nalwanga, and Bubiita sub-counties in Bududa district.
The money is meant for 900 households. Each will get a double roomed house on the government land measuring 2,800 hectares. Each of the households will be given 2.5 acres.
Addressing the media on Tuesday, the State Minister for Disaster Preparedness and Relief Musa Ecweru said that cabinet on Tuesday resolved that money be drawn from the contingency fund.
He says each household will receive 30 pieces of iron sheet, 50 bags of cement and enough bricks and sand.
According to Ecweru, households who accept to be relocated shall have to surrender their land in Bududa, so that the National Environmental Management Authority (NEMA) can plant trees on the land.
Ofwono Opondo, the government spokesperson blamed politicians in Bududa for frustrating the past relocation programmes.
According to government, 10,000 people from Bududa will be relocated next year as Government gets more money.