Tuesday , February 20 2018
Home / ARTICLES 2008-2015 / Nebanda`s Death Story: The Events from Friday Night

Nebanda`s Death Story: The Events from Friday Night

By Joan Akello

Friday 14th: Dark clouds covered Kampala as the country heard about the mysterious and abrupt death of MP, Cerinah Nebanda.

The inspector general of police Kale Kayihura rushed to Mukwaya General Hospital Nsambya where the legislator was pronounced dead at about 8:30pm, to launch the investigation and calm the family and country.

He however worsened the situation when he alleged that Nebanda might have died of drug consumption to the disappointment the late`s family who said they have never see her drinking alcohol.

On Saturday was the microscopic examination in Mulago National referral hospital by a group of three doctors for fair authenticity including commissioner police Dr Moses Byaruhanga who represented the government.

Parliament represented by doctors Chris Baryomunsi, Medard Bitekyerezo and Dr.Sam Lyomoki and family by one professor Stanley.  The microscopic examination confirmed that a heavy substance crushed her pancreas and lungs that caused her death.

The three man team later decided to divide the sample in two, one to government and another to parliament and family who are sending it to South Africa for more toxicology analysis.
On Monday Dec. 17: President Museveni visits the family of the deceased and promises a thorough and a quick investigation. He warns the public against speculating that government has a hand in Nebanda’s death.

On Tuesday, there was a heated emotional attack during the MP’s requiem mass at Christ the King followed by a special session in parliament to honour the late. The church turned political when speakers claimed that IGP had spread malicious information to the media, then the issue of the interception and arrest of the pathologist supposed to take the sample to South Africa is disclosed.

The mourners were angry when a one Lydia Wanyoto, former EALA MP had blocked Theodore Ssekikubo from speaking. The latter was given chance to speak by the late’s mother, Alice Namulwa  Mukasa .

In his speech the father of late Mukasa Frederick also revealed that a team from government run paper, the New Vision approached him to allow them pronounce that his step daughter died of heart attack.

The first lady Janet Museveni who attended the mass echoed her husband’s message that the government did not kill Nebanda.

Shortly after the police spokesperson Judith Nabakooba issued a statement defending the the arrest of Sylvester Dr. Onzivua who was taking the samples to South Africa. She said the pathologist was smuggling the body parts of late Nebanda since he did not follow the right procedures to do so.

In her argument the sample should first be taken to the Government Analytical Laboratory (GAL) and be given a go head from there.  She added that Dr. Onzivua who is a pathologist at Mulago did not get accreditation from his superiors.

The special session in parliament made no difference from what happened in the Church .The MPs on the medical team investigating Nebanda’s death told the house about Dr. Onzivua’s fate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *