The trial of Muslim clerics accused of murdering their colleagues resumed on Thursday with a prominent businessman from Masaka Hajji Yasin Kakomo accusing Sheikh Mohammad Yunus Kamoga and 13 other people of masterminding the operations.
Kakomo told court that Tabliq leader Kamoga and his colleague had made threats before the murder of Muslim Clerics, Sheikh Mustafa Bahiga, Hassan Kirya and the recent one being Major Muhammad Kiggundu.
As the 22nd witness, Kakomo informed the International Crimes Division Court that the three accused Sheikhs Yunus Kamoga, Multa Bukenya, Siraje Kwooya and the deceased Shiekhs were friends since 1983 in the Tabliq Muslim section from which they formed an organization with a religious mission of spreading and teaching Islam across the country.
He said that however in 2013, leadership wrangles led to disunity as the group wanted Shiekh Kamoga to resign his duties as the Amir. This led to a split into two groups.
Kakomo further testified that he tried to unite the groups but failed in 2014. He told court that Kamoga then told him that he is ready to kill and take someone’s life other than giving up his role as Amir.
The witness told a penal of three judges led by Justice Ezekiel Muhanguzi that in November 2014 Sheikh Kamoga and Multa Bukenya called a Muslim crusade in Nyendo Masaka in which they supplied flyers containing names and pictures of the three deceased sheikhs whom they accused of being enemies of Islam and cautioned the congregation never to allow them enter any mosque.
Kakomo said that indeed the threats came to pass when Shiekh Mustafa Bahiga was gunned down at Bwebajja mosque only three weeks after the said crusade had taken place, and the subsequent murders of Sheikh Hassan Kirya in June last year at Bweyogerere, plus the recent one of Major Muhammad Kiggundu which happened last month.
He also told court that he too received death threats throught telephone calls and hand written letters where unknown people promised to chop off his head.
Lead judge Ezekiel Muhanguzi later adjourned further hearing of the case to 11th/January, 11 2017, with an order to MTN and Airtel Mobile phone networks, to avail court certified call print-outs ranging from October 2014 to date in respect of Hajji Kakomo’s telephone numbers, before the defence team can cross -examine the witness.