Friday , September 17 2021
Home / NEWS / Kamwokya residents count losses following last night fire

Kamwokya residents count losses following last night fire

Fire caused by electric sparks ravaged households in Kamwokya yesterday evening. Courtesy photo

Kampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | Traders in Kamwokya are counting losses following Thursday’s fire outbreak.

On Thursday, two people died when fire gutted several houses in Kyamuka zone in Kamwokya, destroying property worth millions of shillings. The fire that started at 7:00 pm was caused by electric sparks from one high power voltage line.

The fire gutted wooden structures before it spread to several makeshift houses. It destroyed property such as mattresses, fridges, television sets among other items.

John Kigozi says that he lost his entire stock worth 3 Million Shillings as his shop got burnt. Kigozi says by the time he rushed to the market, it was too late to save anything.

Florence Nakato whose merchandise was burnt to ashes says she had just counted 5 million shillings in cash and kept it in her shop when she heard an explosion.

Nakato says that a TV set, woofers, two refrigerators, among other things were all destroyed by the fire.

Kampala Metropolitan Deputy Police spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire on Friday said that nine people are nursing injuries sustained. He says that one of the injured victims is in critical condition at Kiruddu National Referral Hospital while others are admitted at Mulago Hospital.

He also says that Edison Ambikire, the Officer-in-charge of Kyebando police post is also nursing injuries.

The fire brigade police could hardly get to the scene due to poor and narrow roads and congestion, leaving the affected residents with no choice but to put out the fire in the possible ways they could.

Some residents were electrocuted as they rescued their properties while several others were injured in a stampede caused by sparks from electric wires of the high-power voltages.

Robert Donkara, the chairperson of Kisenyi II zone has identified the deceased as Amia Carol, 17 years and Stephen Okwale, a resident of Mulimira zone.

According to Donkara, most of the people who sustained injuries were hit by the high-voltage electric wires as they scampered for safety.

Ondonkara also says that more than 200 hundred people have been left homeless. He called for government intervention since most of the households had not received the Covid-19 relief cash.

Tom Kayiwa, another resident of Kyamuka zone, says that four of his colleagues who had turned up to help put off the fire were hit by the wires injuring them.

According to the annual crime report 2020, compiled by fire and rescue services headed by Joseph Mugisa, the police recorded 1,015 fire incidents last year and the majority of them were in residential homes.

****

URN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *