Nairobi, Kenya | AFP | Eight bodies have been taken to the Nairobi city morgue from three slums which erupted into protests after President Uhuru Kenyatta was declared the victor in a disputed election, a senior police officer said Saturday.
Seven had sustained gunshot wounds, he said noting the eight bodies came from the Mathare, Kibera and Kawangware areas. “They have all been taken to the City mortuary,” he said, on condition of anonymity.
The body of a young girl killed in Mathare earlier had yet to be collected, he said.
According to an AFP tally, the death toll in election-related violence since Friday night stands at 11.
This includes one man shot dead in western Kisumu county and another in the southwestern town of Siaya.
Kenya’s opposition coalition vowed earlier in the day that they would not halt their bid to overturn a “sham” election result that handed President Uhuru Kenyatta a second term in office.
“We will not be cowed, we will not relent,” National Super Alliance (NASA) official Johnson Muthama told the media, describing a police crackdown on protests as an effort to force the coalition “into submission”.
— MSF East Africa (@MSFNairobi) August 12, 2017
Muthama claimed that some 100 people had been killed, although this could not be independently verified.
He said Kenyatta, who the electoral commission said beat NASA candidate Raila Odinga with 54 percent of the vote “does not have any electoral mandate to be president of Kenyans.”
“We wish to assure the people that we have the will, the determination, and the means to make sure your vote will count at the end of the day,” he said.
“We will communicate our next course of action at the appropriate time. For now, we appeal to our supporters and Kenyans to stay out of harms way.”