Busia, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | People with disabilities-PWDs in Busia on Thursday stormed the office of the Resident District Commissioner-RDC to demand relief funds.
The PWDs argue that they were not included on the list of vulnerable people supposed to benefit from the relief cash.
Last week, the government started the distribution of 100,000 shillings to vulnerable persons who were affected by the Covid-19 lockdown.
Henry Kirya, the chairman of PWDs at Sofia market says that they are struggling to cater for their families due to the lockdown that affected their businesses.
Kirya explains that when the registration exercise for relief funds started last week, their names were taken to the town clerk’s office for consideration.
Harriet Taaka, a PWD says that she is facing difficulties taking care of 5 children since she lacks food. She says that they are only surviving on handouts from well-wishers.
Stephen Semata, another PWD wants the government to come up with a special fund for PWDs.
But Suzan Wandera, the Busia Deputy Mayor says that only 5,120 people benefited from the relief cash.
John Rex Aachila, the Busia Resident District Commissioner advised the PWDs to put their request to the government in writing and it will be forwarded to the relevant authorities.
He also promised to follow up about the names of the PWDs who were registered and have not yet received the money.