Nairobi, Kenya | AFP |
Officials from Kenya’s scandal-hit national Olympic governing body returned to their offices on Thursday after the government lifted a one-month ban to allow them to organise elections.
Kipchoge Keino, the head of the Kenyan board, is facing corruption allegations but said he was grateful that his office had been re-opened after police sealed it to allow investigations into alleged mistreatment of athletes at the Rio Olympic games.
“We managed to hold a meeting today to chart the way forward,” Keino said. “We are now planning to call for an all conclusive meeting of our affiliate associations next week to discuss the drafting of a new constitution, which should pave the way for fresh elections before the end of year.”
Earlier this month, the International Olympic Committee ordered Kenya to convene an extraordinary general assembly and conduct free and fair elections in accordance with the new constitution, and to address issues over the management of the Kenyan team during the Rio Olympics.
Three top officials, including team leader Stephen Soi, are facing criminal investigations relating to the alleged theft of money and uniforms.
Soi was charged in court on Wednesday with four counts of stealing more than 25 million shillings ($250,000 dollars) intended for athletes and officials in Brazil.
He denied the charges and was released on bail with the next hearing due October 24.