Kampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | The National Unity Platform (NUP) has officially unveiled Kyagulanyi Ssentamu Robert also known as Bobi Wine, the party presidential flag bear’s official campaign poster which has no red beret.
The unveiled campaign poster has the face of NUP presidential flag bearer Kyagulanyi Ssentamu Robert, in a blue suit with the party symbol, the umbrella, and the words ‘a new Uganda’
The red beret for with which the party is most associated as a symbol of the popular People Power movement, does not feature. This is in compliance with the Electoral Commission regulations.
While addressing Journalists at party Secretariat today, the National Unit Platform spokesperson Joel Ssenyonyi says that the poster will be placed everywhere around the city and across the country because it is official and legally accepted by the Electoral commission.
Ssenyonyi notes that this is the picture that is going to appear on the ballot paper and they thought it was important for the people to start getting used to it. That is why they didn’t include the red beret.
According to Fatima Nansubuga, the Mulago woman local council 3 NUP flag bearer popularly known as people power iron lady, this is the time for the party to start making the whole country familiar with the Kyagulanyi poster with no red beret, so that by the time they reach voting time, they are not confused by the posters.
Isiima Kabonge, NUP supporter remarks that Ugandans should not interpret this as if the government has won the battle stopping them putting on the red beret. He says, they have done this as per request of the electoral commission.
A number of posters of presidential and parliamentary aspirants belonging to NUP were defaced or removed in the last few weeks by police saying that they were blocking visibility in the city.
Kyagulanyi now joins NRM’s Yoweri Museveni and FDC’s Patrick Oboi Amuriat as the only presidential candidates who have unveiled their official campaign posters.
According to the Electoral Commission, the presidential candidates will be officially nominated on 2nd and 3rd November 2020 and the NUP flag bearer Kyagulanyi is scheduled to be nominated on 3 November.
FULL LIST OF ASPIRANTS (verification process as at Oct 25)
1. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni (National Resistance Movement – NRM), verified & cleared
2. Bbaale Charles (Ecological Party of Uganda – EPU), under verification
3. Tumukunde Henry Kakurugu (Independent) verified & cleared
4. Mwesigye Fred (Independent) verified & cleared
5. Mayambala Willy (Independent) under verification
6. Lugudde-Katwe Elizabeth (Independent) under verification
7. Mutono Mbulambago Robert (Independent) under verification
8. Ebetu Simon (Independent) under verification
9. Mabirizi Joseph (Independent) under verification
10. Kabuleta Kiiza Joseph (Independent) under verification
11. Yamureebire Jothan (Independent) under verification
12. Makmot Moses (Independent) under verification
13. Okoth Geoffrey (Independent) under verification
14. Kyagulanyi Ssentamu Robert (National Unity Platform – NUP) under verification
15. Katumba John (Independent) under verification
16. Kalembe Nancy Linda (Independent) verified & cleared
17. Katushemererwe Brenda (Independent) under verification
18. Amuriat Oboi Patrick (Forum for Democratic Change – FDC) under verification
19. Mugisha Muntu Gregg (Alliance for National Transformation – ANT), under verification
20. Sserunjogi Henry (Independent) under verification
21. Chemuko Wakuri Fred (Revolutionary People’s Party – RPP), under verification
22. Mirembe Phiona (Independent) under verification