Iganga, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | Police in Iganga district is investigating circumstances under which a 25-year old Brian Kalulu, an employee at Tembo Steel Mills limited was electrocuted to death on Friday night.
An employee who spoke on condition of anonymity says that Kalulu was electrocuted near the boiler, but their bosses attempted to conceal the cause of death.
“We all work in the wiring department and most of us physically saw our colleague die,” he says. “However, for several hours, our bosses were fidgeting with concealing the truth from the media instead of engaging the family members and the rest of the employees on what had transpired.”
Igaga Martin, a relative of the deceased says that Kalulu’s friends informed them about his death. “His two friends called to notify us about his death, but we are still waiting for the factory officials to conclusively address us on the cause of death,” he says.
The Busoga East police spokesperson James Mubi says that the deceased has been taken to Iganga general hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem. He declined to divulge into details.
Meanwhile, officials at Tembo steels have so far declined to comment about the matter as our persistent calls went unanswered.